Staci Troilo on Story Empire Blog asks a thought-provoking, writing question! What’s your answer!
I’m going to discuss first, then pose my question.
Ask one hundred authors how to craft a story, and you’ll get one hundred pieces of advice. Some might be helpful to you, some not so much. But one thing authors, editors, publishers, and readers agree on is this: good stories have conflict.
There are two types of conflict: internal and external.
- External conflict is an outside force acting on the hero.
- Suspense: Being stalked by a serial killer.
- Romance: Domineering father forcing his choice of suitors on his daughter (a man she despises) to improve the family’s socioeconomic status.
- Internal conflict is the turmoil self-imposed on the hero.
- Suspense: She’s a cop and wants to succeed at her job, but she’s afraid…
View original post 132 more words